International Student Trips Powered By Discovery Education
China Adventure

Landing in The Bird's Nest

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Today we had an opportunity to view two of the Olympic venues - the "Bird's Nest" and the "Water Cube." When I watched the opening and closing ceremonies during the 2008 Olympics, as well as the many swim events, I was in awe of the beauty of these structures. There is no comparison when you see them up close. It was fascinating to learn how these architectural wonders were designed with Buddhist and Chinese culture in mind. The "Cube" was designed by Australian architects and the "Bird's Nest" was designed by the Swiss.

4 comments:

Karen Wells said...

Isn't life amazing? I bet when you were watching the Olympics last year, you never dreamed you would be in China this summer. Life (and Discovery Student Adventures)is good!
Karen Wells Arkansas LC

JKeith said...

Kind of an odd looking building, but amazing! Sounds like a lot of fun!

RJ Stangherlin said...

Of all the things you have seen so far, landing in the Bird's Nest really makes me wish SO MUCH that I was on this trip. During the Olympics I sat glued to the TV, watching the events, but really mesmerized by the opening and closing events. Spectacular to be where all that happened. Wow!

I can only imagine the fun you are having. I can't wait to see the video(s) you make as you talk your way into places. Remember Sequoia 2 years ago at DEN LC Institute? When I saw this team's config, I so wanted to be traveling with you. Enjoy.

RJ Stangherlin
PA DEN LC Blog Coordinator

Childproofing Spring Valley said...

Good jobb

Essential Programs Details

Duration 15 days
When August 1st - 14th, 2009
Focus History/Culture
Martial Arts
Modern/Ancient Architecture